With many life insurance companies in the Philippines right now and with the long list of life insurance plans they are offering, it is not uncommon for an average Juan to get confused or undecided of which plan to get. It is as difficult as shopping clothes in a large department store. Well, as a life insurance policy holder for three years now, I still ask myself right now if I have availed the right or even the best life insurance policy in the market. Since life insurance is an integral aspect of my financial life and to my beneficiaries life, I want to have the best life insurance plan and I know many Filipinos out there who are planning to get their first life insurance are thinking the same thing. If you are one of these Filipinos, I want to introduce to you Sun Maxilink Prime, an investment-linked life insurance plan which I think one of the best value for money insurance product of Sun Life of Canada (Philippines). My wife and I are proud holders of Sun Maxilink Prime because we believe on this product and its many benefits.
Sun Maxilink Prime is a variable unit-linked life insurance plan or commonly called VUL plan. In this plan, a portion of your premium or payment will be used to pay the life insurance cost and another portion will be invested into an investment fund (similar to mutual fund) of your choice: equity fund, bond fund, balanced fund, money market fund, etc. In other words, Sun Maxilink Prime will provide you life insurance coverage and investment fund. If you have this plan, Sun Life will give your beneficiaries certain amount (or the face amount) if you die. So if the face amount of your plan is 1 million, your beneficiaries will receive 1 million if you die too soon (huwag naman sana). Like what I said earlier, part of your money is also invested to grow; you can use this money to finance future needs like education of your children, retirement needs, travel expenses or emergencies. Aya Laraya of Pesos and Sense will help you understand VUL further by watching this video:
I want to show you the proposal I made when I got my Sun Maxilink Prime (10 Years To Pay):
Raymund F. Camat, Male, 25 years old, non smoker
Annual Payment: Php 31,385
Semiannual: Php 15,692.5
Quarter: Php 7,846.25
Monthly: Php 2615.41
Daily: Php 87.18
I preferred the semiannual payment method for financial reasons but policy holders can choose to pay quarterly, semiannual, or annual. There is no additional charge if you pay in quarter or annual mode. Let’s go to the benefits:
- My family or beneficiaries will receive from Sun Life 1 Million pesos when I die (Face Amount of 500,000 x 2)
- I attached the Total Disability Rider (TDB) in the basic plan so that I will not pay anymore if I become totally disabled, meaning the plan is considered fully paid already
- I also attached the ADDD rider or the Accidental Death, Dismemberment and Disablement rider so that my family will get additional 500,000 pesos if I die due to accident; I will get up to 500,000 pesos dismemberment benefits if I lost certain body parts due to injury; I will get disablement benefits of up to 500,000 pesos if I become totally disabled
- I also attached the Critical Illness Rider (CIB) so that I can claim up to 500,000 pesos for medical treatment if I am diagnosed of any of the 36 critical illnesses identified by Sun Life including cancer, heart attack, stroke, paralysis, loss of limbs, terminal illness, kidney failure, aortic aneurysm, total blindness and deafness, and among others. Major organ bypass, coronary artery bypass, heart valve replacement and surgery of the disease of the aorta. Mind you, these critical illnesses are very expensive and can easily wreck havoc to my family’s finances so it is very important to have this additional benefit.
- Another rider I attached to Sun Maxilink Prime is the Hospital Income Benefit (HIB) rider which gives me daily income when hospitalized. If I availed this rider, I can get up to 1000 pesos a day when hospitalized for a maximum of 1000 days. That is 1 Million pesos hospitalization income. It is just like a replacement of my daily salary when I get confined. The amount will be doubled to 2000/day if I will be confined in the ICU or be hospitalized due to acute heart attack, chronic liver disease, dissecting aortic aneurysm, end stage lung disease, end stage renal disease, invasive cancer, major organ transplant, multiple sclerosis, poliomyelitis, progressive muscular atrophy and stroke.
If you don’t want the dismemberment or disablement benefits, you have the option to get the ADB or accidental death benefit rider only. I chose the ADDD rider because it has more benefits – a way to maximize the plan; I don’t mind paying higher premium.
Actually, I can get higher plans (Face Amounts: 1 Million, 2 Million and so on) but right now the 500K face amount is what I can afford. I can always get another plan naman or just put extra premium on top of my regular premium as to increase the fund value or life insurance coverage.
What I liked most about Sun Maxilink Prime is its investment feature in which part of the money I pay regularly for 10 years is invested to an equity fund that Sun Life fund manager professionally manage. If I don’t touch the money until retirement, I have the potential to become a millionaire retiree. I know SSS will not make me a millionaire retiree so Sun Maxilink Prime gives me a sense of excitement. Like everybody else, I want to retire comfortably – having food in the table, cash for utility bills, medical bills and even extra cash for travel and leisure activities. I don’t want to retire poor or dependent to my children or relatives. I want to retire rich and financially independent.
Here are the projected fund values/investment values at age 60:
Php 620,288 at 4% fund performance
Php 2,743,682 at 8% fund performance
Php 5,404,407 at 10% fund performance
Fund performance is the average annual compounded return which can be below 4% or even higher than 10%; the higher the percent return, the higher return your money gets. Sun Life VUL Equity fund has average annual compounded return of 13.27%.
I think Php 5.4 million is not bad retirement fund, isn’t it? Of course I also have other life insurance plans with fund values or cash values and I have a mutual fund account from Sun Life also. I think for someone who will work for almost 3-4 decades deserve a comfortable and prosperous retirement, right? I am obnoxious with the idea of being dependent to relatives financially in the future so I start saving and investing now.
Going back to Sun Maxilink Prime. I can withdraw money against my fund value within or after the paying years without the need of paying it back or paying any interest as long as the fund value does not equal to zero. The good thing about this plan is that as long as the fund value does not equal to zero, the policy is still in-forced which means I am still insured with the face amount and the attached riders. But if my goal is to make the plan my retirement plan, I will not touch it until retirement age. If my child needs money for college, I can touch it if there are no other sources of fund.
Sun Maxilink prime can be a good educational/college fund too especially if you get as early as your child is born. After 16-18 years, the fund value can help finance your child’s college education.
For Our Modern Heroes: OFWs
You can avail this plan if you are abroad, you need to be at least in the Philippines to sign the needed documents and also to be interviewed by your chosen Financial Advisor. Good news, previously we don’t offer critical illness, hospital income and disability riders/benefits to most OFWs, but now Sun Life open these wonderful benefits to OFWs with the exclusion of those working in African countries and war torn and politically unstable countries of Asia, Europe, and Latin America. This is a real good news to our dear OFWs working in the USA, Canada, UK, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, China, Japan, India (cities), Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Bahrain, Italy, New Zealand, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Macau, Australia and other peaceful and politically stable countries.
Ang ganda ng Sun Maxilink Prime di ba? Request a customized proposal for you. You can also text/call me at 09179698062 (Phone/Viber) or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
REQUEST FREE PROPOSAL NOW
The proposal I am going to send you has many technicalities and jargons that a regular person would not understand without a licensed advisor explaining it so I strongly suggest that after you read the proposal, schedule an appointment with me to discuss it. When you set an appointment with me, you have NO obligation or commitment to buy from our company. If you don’t like it, it is perfectly okey. The appointment is free and fun. I am available most of the time 24/7. You want a 3am meeting? No problem with me! Whether you are working in the morning shift, middle shift or night shift, I will find time for you. The meeting will usually take 1 hour or less, or longer if you want to learn more or if you have questions. Since I am a full time Sun Life advisor, I could adjust my schedule based on your location and working hours. I make it easy for you. I serve clients in the following areas: Metro Manila, Rizal, Laguna, Batangas, Bulacan, Pampanga, Tarlac, Pangasinan, La union and Ilocos Sur. Clients not located in these places will be referred to licensed advisors near them.
Latest posts by Raymund Camat (see all)
- The Importance of Having an Emergency Fund - June 10, 2017
- Insurance is Real : Sun Life Do Pay Claims! - June 9, 2017
- List of Accredited Schengen Visa Travel Insurance Companies in the Philippines - April 8, 2017
- Travel Insurance for Schengen Visa in the Philippines - April 8, 2017
- BPI/MS Automobile/Car Insurance Quotation Request - March 19, 2017