In the Philippines, there are only few health insurance companies or health maintenance organizations (HMOs) operating with license from the Insurance Commission (IC). Previously, HMOs are regulated by the Department of Health (DOH) until the IC took over in regulating them. The Insurance Commission supervises and regulates the operations of life and non-life companies, mutual benefit associations, and trusts for charitable uses. It issues licenses to insurance agents, general agents, resident agents, underwriters, brokers, adjusters and actuaries. It has also the authority to suspend or revoke such licenses. HMO is a non-life insurance company.
HMOs sell health cards to the public. It is usually given as a benefit by employers to their employees in addition to the Philhealth card. However, self employed individuals can also avail health cards for themselves and their families. You can use the health card in outpatient check ups and hospital confinements. Your health card will shoulder your medical bills up to a certain limit. The health card is renewed every year by paying the required renewal premium.
If you are getting a health card,it is very important that you check if the HMO you are getting from is authorized by the Insurance Commission to operate. Yearly, the commission publishes the companies that they authorized to offer health insurance to the general public. Here is the list of companies they authorized for 2016:
1. Carehealth Plus Systems International, Inc
2. Asalus Corporation (Intellicare)
hotline: (02) 789-4000
3. Carewell Health Systems, Inc.
4. Caritas Health Shield, Inc.
hotline: (02) 711-2411 / 09178733882 / 09985795518
5. Fortune Medicare, lnc
hotline: (632) 857-5499 (Manila) / 1-800-10-633-8888 (Provincial Toll Free)
6. Health Maintenance, lnc
hotline: +63 (2) 811-1313 / +63-917-853-3705 / +63-943-136-5772 / +63-943-136-5773
7. Health Plan Philippines, Inc.
hotline: (+632) 907-2539 (0917) 539-4504
8. Insular Health Care, Inc
hotline: (632) 813-0131 / Toll Free Number 1-800-10-8177857
9. Kaiser International Healthgroup, Inc.
hotline: (02) 274 8202 / (02) 274 8203 / (02) 274 8205 / 0917 5642 398 / 0998 9591 088
10. Life & Health HMP, Inc.
hotline: 742-9750/ 781-9682/ 732-4415/ 411-0555/ 4116384
11. Medocare Health Systems, lnc
hotline: +632 781-9682,
12. Pacific Cross Health Care, lnc. (Formerly Bluecross)
hotline: +63 2 899-8001
13. PhilhealthCare, lnc.
hotline: (02) 462 1800
14. Value Care Health Systems, Inc.
hotline: 0917-7-WECARE / (02) 687-3219 / 0917-8862892 / 09256100301
The official list can be found here.
More from my site
Latest posts by Raymund Camat (see all)
- Importance of Emergency Fund During a Pandemic (COVID-19) - March 18, 2020
- The Importance of Having an Emergency Fund - September 8, 2019
- Whole Life Critical Illness Insurance Plan – 100 Critical Illnesses Covered Up To Age 100 - September 8, 2019
- Benefits of Having a Life Insurance Plan with Investment - September 8, 2019
- Bank Vs Investment Vs Life Insurance Plan - September 7, 2019